Ertaczo - General Information:Ertaczo nitrate is an antifungal medication of the imidazole class. It is available as a cream to treat skin infections such as athlete's foot. [Wikipedia]
Pharmacology:Ertaczo is an imidazole/triazole type antifungal agent. Ertaczo is a highly selective inhibitor of fungal cytochrome P-450 sterol C-14 α-demethylation via the inhibition of the enzyme cytochrome P450 14α-demethylase. This enzyme converts lanosterol to ergosterol, and is required in fungal cell wall synthesis. The subsequent loss of normal sterols correlates with the accumulation of 14 α-methyl sterols in fungi and may be partly responsible for the fungistatic activity of fluconazole. Mammalian cell demethylation is much less sensitive to fluconazole inhibition. Ertaczo exhibits in vitro activity against Cryptococcus neoformans and Candida spp. Fungistatic activity has also been demonstrated in normal and immunocompromised animal models for systemic and intracranial fungal infections due to Cryptococcus neoformans and for systemic infections due to Candida albicans.
Ertaczo for patients
The patient should be instructed to:
- Use Sertaconazole Cream, 2%, as directed by the physician. The hands should be washed after applying the medication to the affected area(s). Avoid contact with the eyes, nose, mouth and other mucous membranes. Sertaconazole Cream, 2%, is for external use only.
- Dry the affected area(s) thoroughly before application, if you wish to use Sertaconazole Cream, 2%, after bathing.
- Use the medication for the full treatment time recommended by the physician, even though symptoms may have improved. Notify the physician if there is no improvement after the end of the prescribed treatment period, or sooner, if the condition worsens.
- Inform the physician if the area of application shows signs of increased irritation, redness, itching, burning, blistering, swelling or oozing.
- Avoid the use of occlusive dressings unless otherwise directed by the physician.
- Do not use this medication for any disorder other than that for which it was prescribed.
Drug/Laboratory Test Interactions: Potential interactions between ERTACZOTM Cream, 2%, and other drugs or laboratory tests have not been systematically evaluated.
ERTACZOTM Cream, 2%, is contraindicated in patients who have a known or suspected sensitivity to sertaconazole nitrate or any of its components or to other imidazoles.
Additional information about ErtaczoErtaczo Indication: For the topical treatment of interdigital tinea pedis in immunocompetent patients 12 years of age and older, caused by Trichophyton rubrum, Trichophyton mentagrophytes, and Epidermophyton floccosum.
Mechanism Of Action: Ertaczo interacts with 14-α demethylase, a cytochrome P-450 enzyme necessary to convert lanosterol to ergosterol. As ergosterol is an essential component of the fungal cell membrane, inhibition of its synthesis results in increased cellular permeability causing leakage of cellular contents. Ertaczo may also inhibit endogenous respiration, interact with membrane phospholipids, inhibit the transformation of yeasts to mycelial forms, inhibit purine uptake, and impair triglyceride and/or phospholipid biosynthesis.
Drug Interactions: Not Available
Food Interactions: Not Available
Generic Name: Sertaconazole
Synonyms: Sertaconazol [Spanish]; Sertaconazolum [Latin]
Drug Category: Antifungal Agents
Drug Type: Small Molecule; Approved
Other Brand Names containing Sertaconazole: Ertaczo;
Absorption: Bioavailability is negligible.
Toxicity (Overdose): Not Available
Protein Binding: >99% to plasma
Biotransformation: Not Available
Half Life: Not Available
Dosage Forms of Ertaczo: Cream Topical
Chemical IUPAC Name: 1-[2-[(7-chloro-1-benzothiophen-3-yl)methoxy]-2-(2,4-dichlorophenyl)ethyl]imidazole
Chemical Formula: C20H15Cl3N2OS
Sertaconazole on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sertaconazole
Organisms Affected: Yeast and other fungi
Bookmark or Share this page
Search by name browsing our [A-Z] index:
Search by Categories:
- Gastric acid regulation
- Allergy / Asthma sprays and inhalers
- Antidepressants and Antianxiety
- Antidiabetic drugs
- Anti-fungus meds
- Herpes treatment
- Very popular
- Blood Pressure / High Cholesterol level
- General Health pills
- Bone treatment
- Drugs for Men (Sexual health)
- Pain relievers / Muscle Relaxers
- Pets meds
- Skin Care
- Sleeping pills&strips
- Quit Smoking
- Weight Loss pills
- Drugs for Women
Top5 meds in current month: