Eurax - General Information:Eurax is a scabicidal and antipruritic agent available as a cream or lotion for topical use only. It is a colorless to slightly yellowish oil, having a faint amine-like odor. It is miscible with alcohol and with methanol.
Pharmacology:Eurax is usually used to treat pruritis (itching of the skin) caused by scabies or sunburn. Eurax relieves itching by producing what is called a counter-irritation. As crotamiton evaporates from the skin, it produces a cooling effect. This cooling effect helps to divert your body's attention away from the itching. Due to this cooling effect it is also effective for the relief of sunburn. The drug is also believed to kill scabies through an unknown mechanism.
Eurax for patients
DIRECTIONS FOR PATIENTS WITH SCABIES
- Take a routine bath or shower. Thoroughly massage Eurax cream or lotion into the skin from the chin to the toes including folds and creases.
- Put Eurax cream or lotion under fingernails after trimming the fingernails short, because scabies are very likely to remain there. A toothbrush can be used to apply the Eurax cream or lotion under the fingernails. Immediately after use, the toothbrush should be wrapped in paper and thrown away. Use of the same brush in the mouth could lead to poisoning.
- A second application is advisable 24 hours later.
- This 60 gram tube or bottle is sufficient for two applications.
- Clothing and bed linen should be changed the next day. Contaminated clothing and bed linen may be dry-cleaned, or washed in the hot cycle of the washing machine.
- A cleansing bath should be taken 48 hours after the last application.
Eurax should not be applied topically to patients who develop a sensitivity or are allergic to it or who manifest a primary irritation response to topical medications.
Additional information about EuraxEurax Indication: For eradication of scabies (Sarcoptes scabiei) and for symptomatic treatment of pruritic skin.
Mechanism Of Action: Eurax relieves itching by producing what is called a counter-irritation. As crotamiton evaporates from the skin, it produces a cooling effect. This cooling effect helps to divert your body's attention away from the itching.
Drug Interactions: Not Available
Food Interactions: Not Available
Generic Name: Crotamiton
Synonyms: Crotamitone; Crotaglin; Crotalgin
Drug Category: Antiparasitic Agents; Scabicides; Antipruritics
Drug Type: Small Molecule; Approved
Other Brand Names containing Crotamiton: Crotamitex; Crotan; Eurasil; Eurax; Eurax Cream; Eurax Lotion; Euraxil; Veteusan;
Absorption: 10 % absorbed when applied locally.
Toxicity (Overdose): Not Available
Protein Binding: Not Available
Biotransformation: Not Available
Half Life: Not Available
Dosage Forms of Eurax: Cream Topical
Chemical IUPAC Name: N-ethyl-N-(2-methylphenyl)but-2-enamide
Chemical Formula: C13H17NO
Crotamiton on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crotamiton
Organisms Affected: Humans and other mammals
Bookmark or Share this page
Search by name browsing our [A-Z] index:
Search by Categories:
- Gastric acid regulation
- Allergy / Asthma sprays and inhalers
- Antidepressants and Antianxiety
- Antidiabetic drugs
- Anti-fungus meds
- Herpes treatment
- Very popular
- Blood Pressure / High Cholesterol level
- General Health pills
- Bone treatment
- Drugs for Men (Sexual health)
- Pain relievers / Muscle Relaxers
- Pets meds
- Skin Care
- Sleeping pills&strips
- Quit Smoking
- Weight Loss pills
- Drugs for Women
Top5 meds in current month: