Syntocinon (Sandoz) - General Information:Synthetic 9 residue cyclic peptide. The hormone is prepared synthetically to avoid possible contamination with vasopressin (ADH) and other small polypeptides with biologic activity.
Other Brand Names containing Oxytocin
Pills Identification Picturescoming soon..
Syntocinon (Sandoz) - Pharmacology:
Used to induce labor or to enhance uterine contractions during labor. Uterine motility depends on the formation of the contractile protein actomyosin under the influence of the Ca2+-dependent phosphorylating enzyme myosin light-chain kinase. Syntocinon (Sandoz) promotes contractions by increasing the intracellular Ca2+, which in turn activates myosins light chain kinase.. Syntocinon (Sandoz) has specific receptors in the muscle llining of the uterus and the receptor concentration increases greatly during pregnancy, reaching a maximum in early labor at term.
Syntocinon (Sandoz) for patients
Syntocinon (Sandoz) Interactions
Severe hypertension has been reported when oxytocin was given three to four hours following prophylactic administration of a vasoconstrictor in conjunction with caudal block anesthesia. Cyclopropane anesthesia may modify oxytocin’s cardiovascular effects, so as to produce unexpected results such as hypotension. Maternal sinus bradycardia with abnormal atrioventricular rhythms has also been noted when oxytocin was used concomitantly with cyclopropane anesthesia.
Syntocinon (Sandoz) Contraindications
Antepartum use of Pitocin is contraindicated in any of the following circumstances:
1. Where there is significant cephalopelvic disproportion;
2. In unfavorable fetal positions or presentations,such as transverse lies,which are undeliverable without conversion prior to delivery;
3. In obstetrical emergencies where the benefit-to-risk ratio for either the fetus or the mother favors surgical intervention;
4. In fetal distress where delivery is not imminent;
5. Where adequate uterine activity fails to achieve satisfactory progress;
6. Where the uterus is already hyperactive or hypertonic;
7. In cases where vaginal delivery is contraindicated, such as invasive cervical carcinoma,active herpes genitalis,total placenta previa, vasa previa, and cord presentation or prolapse of the cord;
8. In patients with hypersensitivity to the drug.
Indication, Mechanism Of Action, Drug Interactions, Food Interactions, etc..